Thursday, August 30, 2012

Golf

    I am taking up golf. Not surprisingly this idea amusement has been a growing interest since I moved to a place with a golf course view. It does not help that I can't afford to play a round on this course. Golf is a very expensive game. There are green fees to play, clubs to buy, driving range fees for practice, all the booze you have to drink to not quit outright after five holes, the hits just keep coming. One of the guys I work with gave me some old clubs that hit the ball well enough and there is a driving range down the street that is reasonable. Now I just need to find a course that I can play for free complete with an open bar and I will be set.
    I have yet to play an actual hole of golf with my new clubs. When I got them, he just gave the whole bag he used. It had become a repository for all of the clubs he had laying around. I took twenty one clubs out of the bag and I still have enough in it to fill all of my needs. Anyone want some used clubs? I'll give em to you cheap. Anyway, I am not sure how well it is going to go when I finally get out there. I have gone to the driving range a couple times and the results are mixed. I am pretty good with the irons. Off the rubber tees I can hit them pretty straight and am consistent enough with the distances. The drivers are another story. Occasionally I can put a good hit on the ball with them, but most of the time it is going all over the place. The thing that really worries me is this: at the end of my session I went over to the area with grass tee boxes and tried to hit a few with an iron. The farthest one went about ten feet. This will not be good if I can't drive off the tee and can't hit an iron when the ball is on the ground. Guess that is what the booze is for.

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."

No comments:

Post a Comment